Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2011

Open Offer for Elbow Room - The Letters

Laban, 23rd September 2009

Dear Spectator

She invites you to read her performance.

  1. Your contribution is appreciated.

  1. 55% + 1 L

  1. Not quite Still distinguished.

  1. Her name: Antje, Origin of ‘Antje’: German, Meaning of ‘Antje’: Grace

  1. The apple doesn’t far from the tree.

  1. sides

  1. If I received a nickel for every time I saw someone as beautiful as you, I'd have five cents.
  1. Do you have a map? Because I just keep getting lost in your eyes.
  1. If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put U and I together.
  1. Did the sun come up or did you just smile at me?
  1. You must be a hell of a thief because you stole my heart from across the room.
  1. Do you have a Band Aid? I just scraped my knee falling for you.
  1. I must be a snowflake, because I've fallen for you.
  1. I think there's something wrong with my eyes because I can't take them off you.
  1. Your eyes are bluer than the Atlantic Ocean, and baby I'm lost at sea!
  1. I think you just stole something. My heart.

  1. As the penny drops, Brown disappears from the scene.

  1. J.B. or Of the presence of the body.

10. Absence or The End.

Yours sincerely,

A.H.


Central Line, 24th September 2009

Dear Performer

I invite her to read my letter.

  1. I didn’t have any change on me, sorry. Are people looking at me?

  1. 55% of.... Water? Fish? Too many fish in the sea? Is she feeling sick?

  1. What is not quite still distinguished? Did she fall in love making this piece?

  1. Does Antje really mean Grace? Is she really German? She looks Polish. Is her name really Antje. [Yes, see programme notes] Why does the arrow point both ways? Is anyone else really bored?

  1. Is she religious? Does she believe in paradise? Does she believe in love? Is she going against the apple? No chance, she will never win, she’s much heavier. I wonder how much she weighs. She doesn’t look like a dancer. Why is she using an apple? It’s so cliché. Does her family know she’s doing this? Is that her dad over there? I wonder what he thinks.

  1. Is it a verb or a noun?

  1. Where did she get those from? I’m sure she’s not serious right now. Why is she so serious? eX-boyfriends? Is this about love? Is this about seX? Is she gay or straight? Is this past, present, future? Maps, crosses, Trio.

  1. Is this clever or is this silly? I think she might have a problem with making/taking things too literal. Technically the sign is brown too. And the coins are, too.

  1. I hope I’m not the only one that knows all the songs from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack!? HE’S NOT REALLY DEAD! What moves you? I saw her performing last year. I lost two friends to cancer. I suppose he was right: You have to love dancing to stick to it. This is why I stopped. Is that her voice? That is the best German accent ever! I wish she would have turned on some music instead. I shall suggest that to her when she’s finished. I’m possibly having ‘the time of my life’ right now. Isn’t that the title of a book?

  1. Will she come back? Should we applaud? This is definitely The End!? I wonder if I can find that penny that I put in. What if I take all? I wonder how much this is. What could I buy with this? Hummus. A cup of tea. Dark chocolate. Two cigarettes. A pint. What time is it? Goodbye, I’m off to the bar.

Yours sincerely,

A.H.



11 Burgess Road, 25th September 2009

Dear Spectator

She invites you to read [1] her letter.

  1. Without you, this performance does not exist.

Without you, this performance will not happen.

Without you - here and now - this time and space is wasted.

Without you, I have no reason to be.

  1. The percentage of water in a woman’s body plus the amount of water that she’s drinking right now.

The symbol for fish.

Water. Body. Difference.

  1. Zurrutada Pieza Distinguida #32 by La Ribot.

Fish. Water. Difference. Body.

The human condition. From here to there. We. Two.

  1. Falling in love.

Literally.

Slowly.

Repeatedly.

She believes in honesty. http://www.babynology.com/meaning-antje-f24.html

  1. Apple – Eve - Fallen from Grace

  1. the fact of becoming different; variety or novelty; a different set of clothes; money exchanged for its equivalent in a larger denomination or in a different currency; the balance of money when the amount paid is larger than the amount due; coins of a small denomination; to make or become different; to replace with or exchange for another; to give and receive (something) in return; to give or receive (money) in exchange for its equivalent sum in a smaller denomination or different currency; to put on other clothes; to get off one bus; train or airliner and on to another. [2]

  1. EK: Love is a resistance to the usual economy of giving and receiving. In the act of giving myself over to another I do not demand return for my investment, I destabilise the usual economics of exchange. [PAUSE] This is the fantasy we have of love.[3]

To stand in front of other people. To be there. To be present. To be visible.[4]

8. Her trainers and Gordon in our ‘current economic climate’.

9. Bad, Le Sacre Du Printemps, Loops, The Time of My Life, Beat It, Blaubart, Exercise Piece, Be My Baby, Thriller, Cafe Müller, Changing Steps, She's Like the Wind, Earth Song, Kontakthof, Rebus, Hungry Eyes, Billie Jean, 1980, Solo, Stay, Wanna Be Starting Something, Nelken, Sounddance, Yes, The Way You Make Me Feel, Two Cigarettes in the Dark, Blue Studio: 5 Fragments, You Don't Own Me, Man in the Mirror, Viktor, Fractions, Hey Baby, Smooth Criminal, Palermo Palermo, Exchange, Overload, Remember the Time, Nur Du, Beach Birds, Love Is Strange, Heal the World, Der Fensterputzer, Beach Birds for Camera, Where Are You Tonight?, Black or White, O Dido, Biped, In the Still of the Night, Gone Too Soon, Wiesenland, Interscape, Big Girls Don't Cry, Dangerous, Für die Kinder von gestern, heute und morgen, Fluid Canvas, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Scream, Rough Cut, Squaregame, Cry to Me, Stranger in Moscow, Vollmond, Split Sides, Love Man, They Don’t Care About Us, Bamboo Blues, Views on Stage, Do You Love Me, Invincible, Sweet Mambo, Eyespace, Some Kind of Wonderful, You Rock My World, New Piece, Nearly Ninety, These Arms of Mine.

The End of Jérôme Bel’s The Last Performance, and André Lepecki.

A tribute to some of the famous people that have fallen to their deaths this year: Michael Jackson, Pina Bausch, Merce Cunningham and Patrick Swayze.

  1. You may take what you have given. You may take what you have not given. You may leave what you have given. You may take what you have been given.

You may leave what you have been given.

You may leave.

The Here & Now.

Yours sincerely,

A.H.




[1] to look at and understand or take in (written or printed matter); to look at and say aloud; to have a certain wording; to interpret in a specified way; to interpret the significance or meaning of; to register or show; to make out the true nature or mood of; to interpret (signs, characters, etc.) other than by visual means; to have sufficient knowledge of (a language) to understand the written word; to undertake a course of study in (a subject); to gain knowledge by reading; to hear and understand, esp. when using a two-way radio.

from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Read

[2] http://www.thefreedictionary.com/change

[3] Quote from Building a Potential Structure - A script of the Performance by Patricia Lennox-Boyd

[4] Quote from A six-thousand-and-forty-seven-word manifesto on liveness in three parts with three interludes by Tim Etchells

Keine Kommentare: